UNDERSTANDING THE ENVIRONMENT:The Contemporary Crisis
BOOKLIST. October 2006
- BERRY, R.J.** God’s Book of Works; The Nature and Theology of Nature, T&T Clark, 2003. Theologians begin here.
- BERRY, Thomas**The Dream of the Earth. Sierra Club Books, 1988. Religious ecological philosophy.
- BERRY, Thomas.** Evening Thoughts; Reflections of earth a Sacred Community. Sierra Club, 2006. Spirituality and good practice.
- BOSSEL, Helmut. ** Earth at a Crossroads, Paths to a Sustainable future. CUP. 1998. The concepts of competition versus partnership.
- BROWN, Donald.** American Heat, Ethical Problems with the US’ Response to Global Warming. Rowman and Littlefield. 2002.
- BROWN, Lester R. **Outgrowing the Earth;The Food Security Challenge in an Age of Falling Water Tables and Rising Temperatures. Earthscan, 2005. The current and coming food shortage crisis.
- BRUCE, Donald and Ann* Engineering Genesis. The Ethics of Genetic Engineering. Earthscan, 1998. C.of Scot. Society, Religion and Tec. Project.
- COHEN, Joel E.** How Many People Can the Earth Support. Norton, 1995 . Definitive study.
- CURRY, Patrick.* Ecological Ethics : An Introduction. Polity, 2006 Begin here for ethical studies.
- DALY, Hermann E and COBB, John B.*** For the Common Good; Redirecting the Economy Towards, Community, The Environment and a Sustainable Future. Green Print. 1990. Best introduction to eco-economics and theology.
- DIAMOND, Jared.***Collapse; How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive. Penguin/Allen Lane. 2005. Important summary of the issues. Includes practical examples of the complexity of the crises, both success and failure.
- DOBKOWSKI, M. N. and WALLIMAN, I. Eds.*The Coming Age of Scarcity. Preventing mass death and genocide in the 21st century. Syracuse UP. Overpopulation; problems and solutions.
- FAGAN, Brian***The Long Summer: How Climate Changed Civilisation. Granta. 2004. Frightening archaeology of the last 15,000 years.
- FLANNERY, Tim **The Weather Makers: The History and Future of Climate Change . Penguin , 2006. Summarises current climate research.
- GIRADET Herbert. ***Cities People Planet: Livable Cities for a Sustainable World. Wiley.2005 How we can address the many many challenges of urbanisation and live sustainably in the urban environment.
- GLOVER, Charles** The End of the Line: How Overfishing is Changing the World and What We Eat. Ebury 2004. The current state of the oceans.
- GORE, Al.** An Inconvenient Truth. Bloomsbury. 2006. Photos and diagrams from the film
- HICKMAN, Leo***A Good Life: A Guide To Ethical Living. Eden Project/Guardian. 2005.The best green lifestyle reference book.
- HICKMAN, Leo***A Life Stripped Bare; Tiptoeing Through the Ethical Minefield. Eden Project/Guardian, 2005. Practical attempt to minimise ecological footprint. Serious and humorous
- HILLMAN, Mayer.***How We Can Save The Planet. Penguin. 2004. Excellent review of the current situation, prospects and solutions. Begin here.
- HOUGHTON, John ***Global Warming. The complete briefing. 3rd Ed CUP. 2004. Standard text. See also Climate Change and Sustainable Energy. Pamphlet published by Met. Office, 2005. Hopeful summary.
- KORTEN, Elizabeth.** Field Notes From a Catastrophe, Bloomsbury, 2006. A journalists view.
- LEAKEY, Richard. *The Sixth Extinction; Biodiversity and its Survival. W&N, 1996. Humanity’s effect on biodiversity and the current extinction. LYNAS, Mark** High Tide. News from a warming world. Flamingo. 2004 Current happenings… sea level rise,.. deserts ..floods.. thawing of permafrost etc.
- LOVELOCK, J. E.** Gaia. A new look at life on earth. OUP . 1979. Important as it explains why the Earth is so sensitive to pollution and changes. The concept of feedback loops and the earth as a single living entity. See also Midgely, Mary. Gaia the next Big Idea. Demos., 2001. Also ‘Revenge of Gaia’., Allen Lane, 2006. It is already too late as feedback has already begun to a new less hospitable stable state. We shall be living in the Arctic in the future!
- McINTOSH, Alastair. ** Soil and Soul; People Versus Corporate Power. Aurum, 2004. How ordinary folk can take on corporate power and choose community and a good environment. Inspirational.
- MASON, Colin, *The 2030 Spike: Countdown to Global Catastrophe. Earthscan 2003. The alternatives of a ‘prosperous future or death and destruction’. Suggests new priorities.
- MEADOWS, Donella and others. *** Limits To Growth; The 30 year Update. Earthscan. 2005. Results of the MIT WORLD3 computer modelling. Vitally important study with some unexpected chapters from a scientific text.
- METHODIST CHURCH.***Energy Study Pack. Methodist Church, 2003. Texts and CD Rom. No ISBN. Get from Methodist Church, 25, Marylebone Rd, London, NW1 5JR Excellent.
- MEYER, AUBREY** Contraction and Convergence; The Global Solution to Climate Change. (Schumacher Briefings) Green Books. 2000. Pamphlet.
- MONBIOT, George,** Heat ; How to Stop the Planet Burning, Allen Lane 2006. How we could cut our emissions by 60/90% if we don’t fly!
- NAESS, Arne.* Ecology, Community and Lifestyle; Outline of an Ecosophy CUP, 1989. Deep ecology and its philosophic base.
- PEARCE, Fred. **The last Generation; How nature Will Take Her Revenge for Climate Change. Eden Project, 2006 . Are we discounting our future?
- PEARCE, Fred .**When Rivers Run Dry; What Happens When Our water Runs Out. Eden Project 2006. A shortage of fresh water before the oil runs out is a possibility.
- POORE, Duncan. Ed.* Where Next: Reflections of the Human Future. Kew Gardens. 2000 ISBN .Varied papers, but Abernethy, Victoria. Population and Environment pp 47-64 interesting argument
for natural population decline to 3.5 billion by 2100.
- PORRITT, Johnathan**. Capitalism as if the World Matters. Earthscan. 2005. Important ecoeconomic text
- REES, Mervyn* Our Final Century; Will the Human race Survive the Twenty First Century. Heinemann, 2003. ISBN 0-434-00809-5 The Astronomer Royal gives us a 50% chance. Scary
- ROBERTS, Paul.* The End of Oil. The decline of the petroleum economy. Bloomsbury. 2004. New age economics.
- UN pub. IUCN, UNEP, WWF ** Caring for the Earth. A strategy for sustainable living. IUCN, UNEP, WWF.. 1991. Key UN text
- SPOWERS, Rory* Rising Tides; The History and Future of the Environment Movement, Canongate, 2002. proposes ways in which we can reduce our economic system. ExcellentFinal chapter on spirituality.
- TUDGE, Colin.*** So Shall We Reap. Alan Lane/Penguin. 2003/4 Excellent. Eco-farming. Pbk version has additional chapter responding to hard back edition.
- VILLIERS, Marq de **Water Wars: Is the World’s Water Running Out Phoenix. 1999.
- WILSON, Edward O.*** The Creation; An Appeal to save Life on Earth. Norton 2006. The vital importance of biodiversity and how we should respect it.
- WILSON, Edward O.** The Diversity of Life. Norton. 1992. Basic biodiversity… also Penguin ed. 1992
- WILSON, Edward O.** The Future of Life. Little Brown. 2002. Top professors view of the future of biodiversity. Hopes that we will only get away with a 25% extinction. This is hopeful????
** Important text.
*** Excellent, very important – possible purchase.